Teacher in Charge: Dr. Ayona Jayadev (PG Dept. of Environmental Sciences)
World Environment Day Celebrations 2016
- The celebrations in relation to the World Environment Day are conducted around the world to inspire more people to take action to prevent the degradation f our environment and to make it suitable for the sustainable inhabitance of all organisms. The 2016 theme highlights the fight against the illegal trade in wildlife, and this year’s slogan is "Go Wild for Life".
- Bhoomitra Sena Club of All Saints’ College conducted a series of activities which spanned a whole week in connection with the observation of World Environment Day - 2016. II.
- Essay Writing Competition
An essay writing competition was held on 7th June, 2016 for the students of the college. The theme of the competition was the slogan of this year, ‘Go Wild for Life’ with special focus on Illegal wild life trade. Ms. Shalot Sabu of III DC Physics got the first prize, Anjitha of III DC Communicative English got the II position and Gopika Gopan of III DC Communicative English secured the third position. The certificates and cash awards (Rs. 1000/- for first, Rs. 750 for II and Rs. 500/- for the third positions respectively) were announced.
- Poster Making Competition
A poster making competition was also conducted on 8th June, 2016 with the same theme. Anu Longian of IV semester B. Sc. Botany came to the first position, Silpa Sasidharan of II Semester M. Sc. Environmental Sciences came to second and Ms. Rose Mary Noble of IV semester M. Sc. Environmental Sciences came to the third positions respectively. The certificates and cash awards (Rs. 1000/- for first, Rs. 750 for II and Rs. 500/- for the third positions respectively) were announced.
The poster of the competition was exhibited in the corridor of the college. All the students and the faculty of the college got a chance to see and comment on the posters.
- Demonstrations of the activities of bio-compost unit run by the club to the students of the college
On 10th June, 2016, the club members conducted a demonstration of activities of the bio-compost unit was done for the students of the college. They explained the technique, the essential microbial mixture they used, the regularity of overturning, moistening etc and also the advantages of bio-composting using microbial inoculum over vermin-composting.
- These activities were done with the support rendered by the Department of Environment and Climate Change.
World Wetland Day Observation
- The Faculty-in-charge and the club members participated in the Seminar organized by the Department of Environment and Climate Change in connection with the observation of the World Wetland Day, 2017 on 2nd February, 2017 at VJT Hall, Palayam. The theme of the year was “Wetlands – Natural Protection against Disasters”. The seminar was inaugurated by the Honorable Chief Minister of Kerala, Mr. Pinarayi Vijayan and Minister for Fisheries Smt. Mercykutty Amma presided over the inaugural session. Felicitations were offered by Dr. Suresh Das (Principal Secretary – KSCSTE) and Mr. K. C. Joshi (Chief Forest Conservator). This was followed by three technical sessions which were very beneficial for the members. The topics for technical sessions were ‘Wetlands for Disaster Management’, Climate Change and Coastal Wetlands’ and ‘Enactments for protecting wetlands’.